It began eleven years ago with a spark of inspiration. What is the one thing that practically every film fan can agree on…the one thing that every cinephile looks forward to? What is the celluloid glue that holds us all together so dearly? Our love of character actors.
Click to enlarge
From the earliest years of Turner Classic Movies (TCM), the network has broadcast “What A Character!” interstitial short tributes honoring various character actors. Many of the most popular supporting players have been highlighted over the years, including Marjorie Main, Edna May Oliver, Beulah Bondi, William Demarest, and Butterfly McQueen. These consummate pros were the inspiration for the WHAT A CHARACTER! Blogathon. Kellee, Aurora, and I decided to dedicate a blogathon to those invaluable talents who often stole the scene. Now, for the eleventh consecutive year, we continue the tradition. Details after the jump
Aurora of Once Upon a Screen and @CitizenScreen, Kellee of Outspoken & Freckled and @Irishjayhawk66, and myself, Paula of Paula’s Cinema Club and @Paula_Guthat, extend this invitation to all bloggers who appreciate the laughter, the double takes, the heart, the tears, and the warmth that character actors have brought us through the years.
A heartfelt thank you to all who have participated in this event so graciously for the past decade. The enthusiasm and passion with which you have approached our beloved character actors are always a joy to read. We hope you will join us on Sunday, January 8, 2023 for this loving tribute to our favorite second bananas. What better way to kick off your New Year?
- Let the hosts know which character actor you choose by leaving a comment below.
- Character actors can be from any era of film or television.
- One blogger per character actor. See below for everyone’s choice so far.
- Please don’t reuse any posts that you wrote previously. However, you can write about actors who have been covered by other bloggers in past WAC blogathons.
- Please include the name and URL of your blog and your Twitter handle to help us promote your work properly.
- Publish your post on or before Sunday, January 8, 2023.
- Blogathon contributions will be distributed across a morning, an afternoon, and an evening post, each one posted by a different host.
- Please include the event banner (above, designed by me:)) on your blog to help us promote this special event.
- Spread the word and HAVE FUN!
Silver Screenings — Eve Arden
A Shroud of Thoughts — Jack Carson
The Last Drive-in — Elisha Cook Jr.
A Person in the Dark — Ruth Donnelly
Paula’s Cinema Club — Richard Erdman
Another Old Movie Blog — Mary Field
Shadows and Satin — Jay C. Flippen
Real Weegie Midget Reviews — Charles Grey
Vienna’s Classic Hollywood — John Hoyt
Whimsically Classics — Allen Jenkins
Wolffian Classic Movies — Peter Lorre
Strictly Vintage Hollywood — Montagu Love
Outspoken & Freckled — Paul Lynde
Taking Up Room — Dorothy Morris
Once Upon A Screen — Edna May Oliver
Classic Film and TV Corner — Takashi Shimura
10 thoughts on “Announcing the 11th Annual What A Character! Blogathon – Call for posts”
Would love to do Eve Arden if she’s not been snapped up already.
Great choice, and it’s all yours!
Hi Paula, I uploaded my post here:
If it’s not too late I’d love to write about Ernest Torrance for tomorrow’s blogathon!
Hi, yes, of course, that’s fine! Tag this blog in your post or post the link in the comments here. Thanks!
Perfect thanks! My post is live at: https://theeverydaycinephile.com/blogathons/ernest-torrence-silent-hollywoods-greatest-character-actor/
Twitter handle is @silentshawn95
https://wolffianclassicmoviesdigest.wordpress.com/2023/01/08/peter-lorrewhat-a-character/ peter lorre:WHAT A CHARACTER as looks upon many of his classics. enjy