The 2014 What a Character Blogathon schedule has been set, and the blogathon is underway.
There’s still plenty of time to join though. If you want to participate, check out the announcement immediately following, and contact one of us ASAP.
Ann Doran and Lurene Tuttle – Theresa on Once Upon a Screen
Billie Burke – Girls Do Film
Burgess Meredith – The Last Drive-In
Charles Durning – Movie Movie Blog Blog
Chris Cooper – Jack Deth on Paula’s Cinema Club
Christopher Lloyd – The Movie Rat
Dame Edith Evans – Margaret Perry
Edna May Oliver – Portraits by Jenni
Elsa Lanchester – Blog of the Damned
Frank McHugh – (This) Girl Friday
Leo Carrillo – Phantom Empires
Richard Widmark – Danny’s Reviews
Thomas Mitchell – Once Upon a Screen
Tony Randall – A Shroud of Thoughts
Agnes Moorehead – Tales of the Easily Distracted
Arthur Housman – Silent-ology
Charles Coburn – Amy’s Rib
Charles Lane & Friz Feld – Vienna’s Classic Hollywood
Chester Clute – Grand Old Movies
Dennis Hoey – Silver Scenes
Esther Dale – Caftan Woman
Harry Dean Stanton – Joel’s Classic Film Passion
John Ridgely – Comet Over Hollywood
Kathleen Howard – Sister Celluloid
Mae Busch – Movies, Silently
Peter Lorre – Second Sight Cinema
Rochelle Hudson – Bunnybun’s Classic Movie Blog
Tuesday, November 18 – Hosted by Aurora
Ann Dvorak – A Person in the Dark
Beulah Bondi – A Thousand Words
C. Aubrey Smith – Critica Retro
Cecil Kellaway – The Lady Eve’s Reel Life
C. Aubrey Smith – Critica Retro
Don Beddoe – Christy’s Inkwells
Edward Everett Horton – Outspoken & Freckled
Eric Blore – The Blonde at the Film
Grant Mitchell – Immortal Ephemera
Henry Travers – Movie Fan Fare
Iris Adrian – Speakeasy
Karl Malden – Oh Rachel Leigh
Melville Cooper – Classic Movie Hub
Ned Sparks – Paula’s Cinema Club
Raymond Burr – Shadows and Satin
Thelma Ritter – Cinephiled
Wallace Shawn – Moon in Gemini
I was only a leading man for a minute; now I’m a character actor. — Robin Williams
In 2012, we – by that I mean myself, Aurora, and Kellee – borrowed a catchphrase from our beloved Turner Classic Movies (TCM) in order to host a blogathon dedicated to those amazing actors whose faces are familiar but whose names few remember.
The phrase is WHAT A CHARACTER, and the individuals concerned rarely got leading parts, exhibiting instead a versatility and depth many star players wished they had. We never tire of seeing them or paying them tribute, and if the previous two installments of this event are any indication, neither do you.
So, here we are with the Third Annual WHAT A CHARACTER! Blogathon.
To say we’re thrilled is an understatement. We hope you’ll join us in spotlighting the Edward Arnolds, Alan Mowbrays, and Alice Bradys of the world, oft-forgotten names that never appeared above the title.
If this is right up your movie alley, then give us a shoutout…
We ask that you adhere to the following guidelines:
- Let one of the hosts know which character actor is your choice. Since there are so many greats worthy of mention, we won’t take any repeats and we’re not limiting these to “classic” actors. Great character actors have made their mark both before and since the end of the classic era and contemporary talents deserve some attention as well, so the field is wide open.
- Please include your twitter and/or FB tag, email address and blog name & URL.
- Publish the post for either November 16, 17 or 18. Let us know if you have a date preference, otherwise we’ll split publicizing duties equally among the three days.
- Please include one of the blogathon graphics in this post on your blog to help us publicize the event.
- Include the graphic and link to the host sites in your WHAT A CHARACTER! post
- If possible, please send any of the hosts the direct link to your WHAT A CHARACTER! post by the day before your due date. Otherwise we’ll simply link to your site’s home page.
- HAVE FUN and spread the word! There are so many great characters worthy of attention, we would like to honor as many as possible.