Borrowing a catchphrase from our favorite home of the classics, Turner Classic Movies, Kellee of Outspoken & Freckled / @IrishJayHawk66), Aurora, of Once Upon a Screen / @CitizenScreen), and myself Paula of Paula’s Cinema Club / @Paula_Guthat) dedicate a blogathon to character actors for the ninth! consecutive year. To the faces, the laughs, and the drama presented by these wonderful actors whose names all too often go unrecognized we dedicate WHAT A CHARACTER! 2020.
The hosts extend this invitation to the WHAT A CHARACTER! Blogathon 2020, a slightly different event than in the past. We will all host the event on one day promoted across all three blogs. Please join us on December 5, 2020 as we pay tribute to the brilliance of the supporting players and the many films they made better.
Our objective with this TCM-inspired event has always been to spotlight these lesser-known actors with talent to spare. We hope you are up for this challenge and are ready to have a bit of fun. All you have to do is adhere to the following guidelines and leave a comment with your choice of actor.
- Let at least one of the hosts know which character actor is your choice.
- Do not take it for granted we know exactly who you are or where your blog resides – please include the title and URL of your blog and your Twitter handle if you have one.
- We will not accept previously published posts, or duplicates, since there are so many greats worthy of attention, but your choices are not limited to classics. You can choose any character actor from any era and from the movies or television, which has featured talented regulars since the beginning.
- Choices will be listed under “Chosen Characters” below, I’ll try to keep it in alphabetical order by subject’s last name.
- Publish your WHAT A CHARACTER! post on or before December 5, 2020.
- Please include the gorgeous event banner in your What A Character! post. It would be great if you could help us promote this event.
- Thank you for sending any of us the direct link to your post once you have published it. Leave a comment or mention us on Twitter. Searching on social media sites can lead to missed entries.
- HAVE FUN and happy blogging!
Maddy Loves Her Classic Films – Eve Arden
Second Sight Cinema – Mary Astor
Once Upon a Screen – Beulah Bondi
Caftan Woman – Harry Cording
The Lady Eve – Marcel Dalio
Paula’s Cinema Club – Richard Erdman
Outspoken & Freckled – Barry Fitzgerald
Goosepimply All Over – Herbert Marshall
Wide Screen World – Raymond Massey
Critica Retro – Ernie Morrison
Brizzy Mays Books and Bruschetta – Anne Revere
Real Weegie Midget Reviews – Diana Rigg
Poppity Talks Classic Film – Marjorie Riordan
Whimsically Classic – S.Z. “Cuddles” Sakall
Outspoken & Freckled – Ned Sparks
Another Old Movie Blog – Tom Tully
Silver Screenings – Review of Celeste Holm Syndrome: On Character Actors from Hollywood’s Golden Age by David Lazar
Who’s Who in the What A Character! banner
- Jerome Cowan
- Guy Kibbee
- Edgar Kennedy
- Aline McMahon
- Frank McHugh
- Jack Elam
- Roscoe Karns
- Thelma Ritter
- Connie Gilchrist
- Spring Byington
- Eddie “Rochester” Adams
- Theresa Harris
- Paul Stewart
- Una Merkel
- Hattie McDaniel
One thought on “Ninth Annual What A Character Blogathon is Dec. 5 – Call for Entries”