It’s hard to believe we’ve been hosting this blogathon for eight years now! But perhaps it isn’t that shocking — after all, discussing those scene-stealing character actors is a crowd-pleasing pastime amongst cinephiles.
Year after year, it’s an event we all look forward to. Wise-cracking Eve Arden, nurturing Louise Beavers, sassy Thelma Ritter, double-take pro Edward Everett Horton, tart-tongued Edna May Oliver, gravelly-voiced Eddie “Rochester” Anderson, fatherly Charles Coburn, frazzled Franklin Pangborn, bullfrog voiced, barrel-chested Eugene Pallette, cigar-chomping Ned Sparks… these and so many more lovable character actors are who we look forward to seeing as our dearest ole chums. Couldn’t we all use a trusted sidekick? All the details after the jump.
For the eighth consecutive year, we as the blogathon hosting trio of Aurora of Once Upon A Screen / @CitizenScreen, Kellee of Outspoken & Freckled / @IrishJayhawk66, and myself, Paula of this blog / @Paula_Guthat, invite you to join us for the WHAT A CHARACTER! BLOGATHON, held this year on November 15, 16, and 17, as we pay tribute to the brilliance of the supporting players. Our objective for the What A Character! Blogathon has always been to shed the spotlight on these lesser-known but equally talented thespians, whose names usually appeared below the title. If you wish to salute your favorite on-screen character actor — the quirky maid, ornery hotel manager, frustrated maître d’hotel, sassy best friend, hot-tempered heavy, flabbergasted father, sarcastic sidekick, grumpy boss, or gobsmacked butler — then you’ve come to the right place.
Please review the guidelines below, then just leave me a comment!
- Let at least one of the hosts know which character actor is your choice. You can leave me a comment below, @ me on Twitter, or email paula.guthat(at)gmail.com.
- Don’t take it for granted we know exactly who you are or where your blog resides – please include the title and URL of your blog, also your Twitter handle if you have one.
- We will not accept either previously published posts or duplicate choices since there are so many greats worthy of attention. Please see the list below to see who has already been chosen.
- Your choices are not limited to classic movies. You can choose any character actor from any era and from the medium of television, which has featured talented regulars since the beginning and continues to do so.
- Publish your WAC! post on either November 15, 16, or 17, 2019. Let us know if you have a date preference; otherwise, we’ll split publicizing duties equally among the three days.
- To help us promote the event, please include our banner (above, designed by yours truly) on your blog and within your What A Character! post.
- Please send any of us the direct link to your post once you have published it. Searching on social media sites can lead to missed entries.
Last but not least…spread the word, and HAVE FUN!
Participating blogs and topics:
The Movie Night’s Group Guide to Classic Film – Fay Bainter in The Lady and the Mob (1939)
Once Upon a Screen – Marjorie Main in The Wistful Widow of Wagon Gap
Paula’s Cinema Club – Brad Pitt, Richard Erdman
A Shroud of Thoughts – Frank Faylen
Outspoken & Freckled – Frank McHugh
Wide Screen World – Una O’Connor
The Last Drive In – Thelma Ritter
The Ninephile & Mrs. Muir – Keenan Wynn
Caftan Woman – George Zucco
The Story Enthusiast – Several favorite actors
Nickie’s Vintage Life – Charlie Ruggles
A Person in the Dark – Estelle Winwood
Who’s Who in the What A Character banner
- Jerome Cowan
- Guy Kibbee
- Edgar Kennedy
- Aline McMahon
- Frank McHugh
- Jack Elam
- Roscoe Karns
- Thelma Ritter
- Connie Gilchrist
- Spring Byington
- Eddie “Rochester” Adams
- Theresa Harris
- Paul Stewart
- Una Merkel
- Hattie McDaniel