First I need to apologize to Fernando of Committed to Celluloid because it has taken me so long to complete this. He tagged me in his post (check it out) a while ago, and as much as I love these “getting to know you” posts, and I do very much, this is the first chance I’ve had to answer his questions. The rules of this game are similar to the Liebster, with a couple variations.
- Each person tagged must post 11 things about themselves.
- They must also answer the 11 questions the ‘tagger’ has set for them.
- They must create 11 more questions to ask bloggers they have decided to tag.
- They must then choose 11 bloggers with less than 200 followers and tag them in their post.
- These lucky bloggers must then be told.
- There are no tag backs. 😉
11 (random, mostly movie-related) things about me:
- I create the banners for this blog based on astrology. I choose Old Hollywood or contemporary actors or actresses for each sun sign. At the moment it’s contemporary Scorpio actors; the previous one was Old Hollywood Virgo actresses.
- So far, my Best Movies of 2012 list includes Looper, Argo, and Skyfall.
- I have at least 15 books on my “To Read” list, but I don’t know when I’ll get to reading them, or even adding them to shelves on goodreads.
- I’m very pleased that my favorite color, green, has made a fashion comeback and I can stock up. It doesn’t happen that often.
- Insomnia is my blessing and my curse.
- My DVR is constantly at 90% or more capacity and I often have to choose between deleting a movie I haven’t seen or not recording another.
- We got SiriusXM satellite radio in February, and it has changed our lives. No more morning shows, endless commercials, or people talking over the beginnings or endings of songs. True, channel 2 has a morning show, but there are over 150 other channels that don’t. For that, I even tolerate them putting Madison on TWO separate channels. Do I need SiriusXM? No, but I think it’s right up there with internet connection as the item I would miss the most. PS: To Ford Motor Company — Good job! Free samples really do work.
- My favorite bands that were new to me in 2012 are The Naked and Famous, Cults, Crystal Fighters, Myths, and Grimes.
- One of my favorite little things in life is finding a Where’s George? dollar bill.
- Courtesy of Moxie Reviews, I recently found out that super-value-priced cosmetics brands Milani and Pixi are cruelty-free. Wet n Wild is of course as well. For the vintage shopper, check out Bésame Cosmetics — I love the 1930s and ’40s formulations and cases.
- Daniel Craig is still my favorite James Bond, because he’s most like the Bond in the books. For a great analysis of the Bond books vs. movies, check out these two posts at Flix Chatter: Part 1 | Part 2
Questions from Fernando:
- Spring, Summer, Fall or Winter? Any of the above except Winter. I really should move.
- Fruit juice or fruit-flavored soda? Fruit juice. I try to stick with water and stay away from soda because it’s pretty harmful.
- Modern Family, Parks & Recreation or Community? I really don’t watch TV that much, but I’ll say Community cos I’ve seen three episodes of it and it was pretty funny.
- Britney or Christina? Forced to choose, I’d pick Christina. Otherwise, Adele.
- Luke or Owen or Andrew Wilson? Owen. Midnight In Paris, you all.
- Francis Ford or Sofia Coppola? Oh man, what a question. Both are geniuses, particularly with use of sound. If I choose FFC, I deny my love for The Virgin Suicides, Lost in Translation and Marie Antoinette. If I choose Sofia, I go against 40 years of film criticism, The Godfather films, The Conversation, and Peggy Sue Got Married. I refuse to answer on the grounds that it may incriminate me….I’ll probably still step on some toes.
- Christmas or Halloween? I just slightly prefer Halloween. I think these two are the best holidays for movie fans though.
- Drama or comedy? Comedy. Drama affects me too much.
- Dogs or cats? Both. We had both until a few weeks ago.
- Digital media or print media? Both. I design both.
- Beatles or Stones? The Beatles.
And now….my 11 questions (with apologies to Bernard Pivot):
- What is your favorite winter-holiday-related movie? Do you go traditional (It’s A Wonderful Life), alternative (Die Hard) or both?
- James Bond or Jason Bourne?
- What prop from which movie do you wish you had?
- What film from this year really surprised you, in either plot or quality? (If none, name one from another year.)
- “The TV show I never miss is…”
- “_____________ is really overrated.”
- What film never fails to make you laugh?
- What film never fails to make you cry?
- What movie character are you most like?
- 3-D movies, bonus or bane?
- What occupation other than your own would you like to attempt?
As for the 11 bloggers…Like I said, I love getting-to-know-you posts but I know some people don’t. So instead of tagging 11 people, I am inviting anyone reading this to answer any or all of my questions in the comments.
14 thoughts on “Tag — you're it!”
Thanks for doing this, Paula! That you did this months after my original post, only goes to show how much you care. So thanks.
Great facts about yourself and great answers to my questions, as well. I too love finding a Where’s George? bill. It’s happened to me once.
Now to answer your questions:
What is your favorite winter-holiday-related movie? Do you go traditional (It’s A Wonderful Life), alternative (Die Hard) or both? I go traditional. My favorites are The Holiday, Love Actually, A Christmas Story and, of course, It’s a Wonderful Life.
James Bond or Jason Bourne? Bond
What prop from which movie do you wish you had? The turquoise ring Paul Child (Stanley Tucci) wears in Julie & Julia
What film from this year really surprised you, in either plot or quality? (If none, name one from another year.) Plot: Looper. Quality: Killer Joe.
“The TV show I never miss is…” How I Met your Mother, New Girl, Happy Endings, Modern Family, Glee, Community, Smash (so many, I’m sorry)
“The King’s Speech is really overrated.”
What film never fails to make you laugh? Superbad
What film never fails to make you cry? I don’t think there’s a movie that makes me cry every single time. Maybe Volver.
What movie character are you most like? Maybe I share some traits with Gil Pender from Midnight in Paris.
3-D movies, bonus or bane? bane
What occupation other than your own would you like to attempt? Movie producer
Of course 🙂 You’re welcome & thank you Fernando for tagging me and answering my questions. I forgot all about Paul Child’s ring! He is an all-time favorite character of mine, I wrote about him and Ruth was kind enough to post it: http://bit.ly/WRMoXM I was surprised by Looper too. I guess I’ll have to check out The Holiday and Superbad, I keep hearing how great they are. I see you mentioned Volver, I like that one too. Do you have a favorite Almodovar film?
Yeah, Paul Child is an awesome character. I really love Julie & Julia: the writing, the visuals and of course the wonderful acting (and the gorgeous ring!) Tucci and Streep share amazing chemistry and are completely believable as a couple crazy in love after many years! I’ll read your post in a few.
And please do check out The Holiday and Superbad. The former is definitely not for everyone, but I think it’s pretty sweet and required viewing at my household for the holidays. The cast is incredible and Jack Black is wonderfully restrained. Kate Winslet rules as always. Check it out and tell me what you think. Maybe I’m biased because I adore Nancy Meyers. Oh and Superbad is really vulgar but HILARIOUS. I cry with laughter every single time. And Jonah Hill is fantastic in it.
And yes, I do have a favorite Almodóvar movie. It’s Volver. Actually, that’s my favorite movie, period.
Cool! I will check those out. I do like Volver, I think I like Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown best. If I’m flipping the channels and I see any of Almodovar’s films I will stop instantly and watch however much is left.
About Julie & Julia, I liked it a lot too. Not too many films show good marriages (and by that I mean, marriages where the spouses are happy). 🙂
This is cool. I will answer your questions:
What is your favorite winter-holiday-related movie? Do you go traditional (It’s A Wonderful Life), alternative (Die Hard) or both? Mostly traditional
James Bond or Jason Bourne? Can’t have both?
What prop from which movie do you wish you had? Lightsaber from Star Wars (don’t care which one)
What film from this year really surprised you, in either plot or quality? While We Were Here (saw at Tribeca Film Fest)
“The TV show I never miss is…” This changes with the weather. Nowadays I am all about Scandal.
“_____________ is really overrated.” Titanic
What film never fails to make you laugh? While You Were Sleeping
What film never fails to make you cry? ET
What movie character are you most like? Bridget Jones
3-D movies, bonus or bane? Depends but mostly bane.
What occupation other than your own would you like to attempt? Film Directing
Thanks Iba! I’m glad i asked about TV shows, you all are telling me about all these that are new to me.
I tend to agree re: Titanic. And ET! Waterworks guaranteed.
There is talent and discernment here to start a film studio…I think bloggers would make great films 🙂
Great answers! Community and Modern Family are terrific shows, but my heart still lies with Parks & Recreation (primarily because of Amy Poehler and Aziz Ansari). You should try watching them all! I think I’ll give this Q&A thing a shot as well, if you don’t mind.
Every year the new TV shows come out & I have the best of intentions…that said I will keep those in mind 🙂
Definitely! Please do go ahead. Did I mention I love these?:)
Glad you finally get a chance to do this, Paula. Btw, I LOVE your new banner for having Rufus on it, the best one out of the four guys IMO 😀
Ok, I’ll join in on the fun of answering questions.
1. What is your favorite winter-holiday-related movie? Do you go traditional (It’s A Wonderful Life), alternative (Die Hard) or both? Hmmm I don’t really have one actually.
2. James Bond or Jason Bourne? I like both but if I had to choose I’d go with Bond as he has way more fun 🙂
3. What prop from which movie do you wish you had? Hmmm, tough one but it’d be nice to have the whole entire Phantom lair with Gerry in it in that sexy Phantom costume, ha..ha..
4. What film from this year really surprised you, in either plot or quality? (If none, name one from another year.) Wow, tough one but I’m surprised how much I was really taken by The Sapphires from TCFF. I highly recommend that when it’s available to rent.
5. “The TV show I never miss is…” None, I’m really bad with TV watching.
6. “_____________ is really overrated.” Brad Pitt, Ryan Gosling [sorry!], Sean Penn
7. What film never fails to make you laugh? The gods must be crazy
8. What film never fails to make you cry? Sense & Sensibility, esp the ending.
9. What movie character are you most like? Don’t know the answer to this
10. 3-D movies, bonus or bane? Bonus probably
11. What occupation other than your own would you like to attempt? I still wish one day I could be a screenwriter but I’m really shooting for the moon here, ahah.
Thanks Ruth. I realized after I had put it up that I was missing another actor, one of Scottish descent, who is also a Scorpio. I’ve duly noted it for next year. Rufus is my favorite too, though I pick who goes in the banners more by sun sign than my personal preference. So there’s nothing to be sorry for 😉
One of my New Year’s resolutions is to see The Gods Must Be Crazy.
You all definitely have to start a studio now, Fernando can produce, Iba can direct and you can write. I’d go see your movies.
I don’t pay attention to horoscope so do you mean GB? No idea if he’s Scorpio, ahah. Oooh do see ‘Gods Must Be Crazy’ It’s such a hoot! But skip the sequel, it’s pretty bad.
Ahah, now that’s the dream team I’m talking about, but you have to be in it too 😉
Yes, definitely referring to GB 🙂
Some films just should not have sequels.
Aw, that is sweet of you. Maybe I could be the cinematographer or art director.
I can truly identify with the too-full DVR dilemma. Great post!
🙂 I just looked this morning & it’s at 90% again. Have to start deleting for Stanwyck month. Thanks!