What’s great about being a character actor is you know that you can survive forever. It’s not about the gloss of your eyebrows.
— Martin Short
We’re back for a fifth consecutive year to honor the versatility and depth of supporting players with the WHAT A CHARACTER! Blogathon. Based on a phrase borrowed from Turner Classic Movies (TCM), the WAC! Blogathon is an event that many look forward to each year. It’s a chance to pay tribute to the Louise Beavers and Eddie Andersons of the movie world — the names that seldom or never appeared above the title. Your enthusiasm for spotlighting the oft-nameless faces that appear in countless beloved movies is admirable, and Aurora, Kellee, and I extend sincere thanks to all of the bloggers who have joined us in the previous four years. We invite you all to help us make the fifth outing extra special. Get all the details after the jump…
By now, you may know the drill. If a salute to lesser-known but essential Hollywood thespians is right up your movie alley, then give us a shoutout:
You can leave me a comment below or reach me via Twitter or Facebook.
You can also contact Aurora at Once Upon a Screen or Twitter or Facebook; or contact Kellee at Outspoken & Freckled or Twitter or Facebook.
We ask that you please adhere to the following:
- Let one of the hosts know which character actor is your choice.
- Don’t take it for granted we know exactly who you are or where your blog resides – please include the title and URL of your blog.
- We will not accept repeats (previously published posts) since there are so many greats worthy of attention, but your choices are not limited to classics. You can choose any character actor from any era and from the medium of television, which featured a number of talented regulars, and continues to do so.
- Publish your WAC! post for either December 16, 17, or 18, 2016. Let us know if you have a date preference; otherwise, we’ll split publicizing duties equally among the three days.
- Please include one of my three WAC! 2016 event banners included in this post on your blog to help us promote the event and also include it in your post.
- Please send any of us the direct link to your post once you have published it. Searching on social media sites can lead to missed entries. My email is paula.guthat[at]gmail.com.
- HAVE FUN and spread the word!
Again, thank you – and HAPPY BLOGGING!
The list of those participating is as follows, in alpha order by character actor’s last name, followed by the blog name.
Comment below if you want to be added to the list!
Joan Blondell – Outspoken & Freckled
Eileen Brennan – Cindy Bruchman
Margaret Dumont – Critica Retro
Hope Emerson – Shadows and Satin
Stanley Fields – Immortal Ephemera
Ruth Gordon – The Last Drive-In
Sidney Greenstreet – Old Hollywood Films
Edmund Gwenn – Once Upon a Screen
Edward Everett Horton – Movies Silently
Arthur Kennedy – The Wonderful World of Cinema
Charles Lane – A Shroud of Thoughts
Agnes Moorehead – In the Good Old Days of Classic Hollywood
Mildred Natwick & George Tobias – Phyllis Loves Classic Movies
Una O’Connor – Wolffian Classic Movies Digest
Alan Rickman – Realweegiemidget Reviews
Ruth Roman – CineMaven’s Essays from the Couch
Takashi Shimura – Christina Wehner
M. Emmet Walsh – Jack Deth (Hosted here)
David Wayne – Blog of the Darned
Michael Wincott – Thoughts All Sorts
Cora Witherspoon – Caftan Woman